Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Fresh Start

We, the Darling Rebecca and I, have started a creative writing class with the JC, so far we have written free form with and with out a theme, and about a candle. Below are our candle stories. Meant to be just a paragraph in length the instructions were plain "Write a one-paragraph only description of the lighted candle. Show us your candle so we can experience it with you. Be honest. Use specific words and sensory details as a way to focus rather than trying to aim for universal truths."
 

Mine,



Poor Thing

There it sits in its' little aluminum cup. A small flame burns, on the wax wicked up from the base, struggling to shed its' light on the papers on my desk. It seems to think this is the sole purpose of this little light. I wonder if it would be disappointed to learn the true reason it was lit was for an exercise in a creative writing class? That was my motive, I wonder, can a votive have a motive?


and The Darling Rebeccas'

It’s four am. As I make a cup of tea, the cats show up, yawning and moving slow. They know it’s too early for breakfast but then, it never hurts to check out what the human might be doing in the kitchen. I’ve lit the one sorry looking candle on the dining table rather than turn on the overhead lights. The glowing little puddle of light with its whiff of mountain springtime seems an appropriate passage between night and dawn. It’s just a warm spot to sit and sip, a delusion that it’s not really morning; I could still go back to bed, if I wanted. The tiny flame shudders as Charley Cat slinks by. Yes, the cat is on the table. Why not? He’s pretty good company. He can sit with me, lost in the flame, lost in thought, just sipping tea. It’s four am.  

We shall see where all of this leads but with new inspiration this should be fun, stay tooned (he he he)


1 comment:

Chilebrown said...

That is nice. I would like to take a class too.